Wednesday, January 8, 2014

We've Landed!

My second posting:



The C-17 landed in Afghanistan at around 19:00 (Afghanistan is 11 ½ hours ahead of El Paso TX) on the evening of the 16th. Gunny, his good buddy Uncle B, and myself were tasked to secure tents for our platoons to live in. Gunny runs the Mortar Platoon and Uncle B runs the Scout Sniper Platoon (Uncle B’s the guy in the picture with me on the plane). I’m in the Mortar Platoon. Being that I’m the newest and smallest mortar man I get picked on a lot. Being the new guy is never good but being the new guy in an infantry unit is horrible. Earning the respect of your fellow soldiers is essential if you want to fit in. Lucky for me I’m not the only new guy in the platoon. Besides myself there are two other guys in my platoon that have not been to Afghanistan before.  
We finally got some shut eye around 0200. At 10:00 the next morning we headed down to the Entry Control Point (E.C.P). The Entry Control Point is basically the entrance to the Forward Operating Base (FOB) where we live. The Entry Control Point is the FOB's first line of defense. All vehicle traffic and foot traffic have to cross through the Entry Control Point to enter or exit the FOB. Picture the border between Mexico and the United States but a great deal more secure, that might give you a hint of how an ECP is operated. The E.C.P is not really on the FOB but it is not really outside the wire either, I think of it as kind of a no-man’s- land. Anyway, the ECP is where my platoon is currently assigned. Hopefully it will only be for 2 to 3 months. So, we were down at the E.C.P on our first full day in country to learn how to run the thing. The outgoing unit was more than happy to train us, the faster we were trained up the faster they could fly home.

 About an hour before we were due to depart the E.C.P I got to experience my first 107mm rocket. Or as everyone around me called it “INCOMING”! I heard a loud whistling sound directly above my head, instantaneously everyone around me dropped to the ground; seconds later I heard a huge explosion. Gunny told me to get the %@#* down. My heart was beating really fast and my legs were shaking a bit but I obeyed and dropped to the ground. Once we were sure that there was only one rocket in that volley everyone got up. A soldier on one of the nearby towers radioed up and reported that everyone was okay and that the rocket landed 200 meters from our location. It was dark at the time and I could not see the cloud of smoke from the explosion. Gunny told me that the enemy was welcoming us back to Afghanistan. I did not think it was very funny. Minutes later all the guys joined in to make fun of me and the two other new guys for being so afraid of the rocket. I was ridiculed the most because both of my boots fell off when the rocket hit. The government does not make boots for bears let alone boots for bears my size.  Later Gunny told me not to worry about being teased and that everyone is afraid of rockets (Indirect Fire “IDF”).

 Gunny told me that making jokes about IDF is a method soldiers use to hide their own fear. Rockets or mortar rounds do not discriminate when they land and I don’t really know anyone who wants to die that way. If you don’t keep your mind occupied during the day and especially before you go to bed, the fear of being killed by a random rocket always seems to creep up on you. The fear of dying does not stop with IDF. All the vehicles and people that we have to search on a daily basis are scary as well. The guys I work with are always joking about which truck is going to be a Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED). Or does this guy approaching have a vest on filled with explosives? Oh, yeah there is always the threat of being shot from a distance as well. We will be standing around talking with a bunch of guys and one of them will just randomly bring up the point that we could get shot in the neck or face or anywhere else not protected at any time. Sure, we all laugh but deep down we all know that it is true.

After about three full days of training up on the E.C.P my platoon had the job pretty much down. The outgoing unit left and we had the E.C.P all to ourselves. Well, that last statement is not completely true. There are dozens of local nationals that work with us. Anyway, the first morning working on our own we got hit with another 107mm rocket, this time it landed in the middle of the E.C.P. I was in a tent about 75 meters away. I heard a screaming whistling sound and then boom! It happened so fast that I did not get a chance to hit the ground. The platform of the tent shook, I dropped to the ground. Gunny picked up his radio and asked the towers if everyone was alright and if they could see where the rocket hit. The locals that work with us took off running to a nearby bunker. Fortunately, no one was injured but pieces of shrapnel could be found throughout out the E.C.P.

The very next day at around 1700 (at the E.C.P) the local nationals were getting ready to leave for the day. At the time there were five members of my platoon in the tent and two local nationals. We were standing around talking and out of nowhere came an incredibly load roaring thunder sound. A guy nick named Big Red (the guy has red hair) yelled “rocket” and everyone in the tent dived to the floor instantly. My heart dropped from my chest and half my body was under a desk. A local national named Sarwar that does not speak English was still standing, he was pointing to the ceiling of the tent laughing hysterically trying to say the word airplane. His Afghani coworker was down on the floor with the Americans trying to find cover. What we thought was a rocket turned out to be an F-18 fighter jet flying at about 200ft right over our tent. The entire tent broke out in laughter (a great deal of relief as well). Sarwar called in the rest of his coworkers and told them the story, both the Americans and the Afghanis laughed for a good 15 minutes. Now whenever a plane, jet, or helicopter is in our area Sarwar points up to the sky and attempts to say “airplane airplane no rocket”!



g/b 


No comments:

Post a Comment